Thursday, August 2, 2018

Algebra Task Series: Expression Race Track

I recently attended the MCTM conference in Grand Rapids, MI. This was my first time attending a math conference, and I'm hooked. The presenters were amazing, I'll be blogging about what I learned and takeaways later. I picked up the book Tasks & Competencies in the Teaching & Learning of Algebra by Alex Friedlander and Abraham Arcaavi while at the conference and started reading it on a trip to South Carolina. I created and modified tasks shared in the book to work in my Algebra Classes. I will be posting articles sharing these activities using the label "Algebra Task Series".

The first task shared in the book is "The Racing Track: A Substitution Game." You can find an excerpt of this task with a quick Google search. This is a perfect beginning of the year, week 1 activity for Algebra 1. It reviews substitution, the order of operations, and integer rules. All of these concepts are in my textbook in the first chapter. I modified the game and created it in publisher (file links listed below). I will be printing onto 11x17 paper and be laminating. I kept most of the expressions listed but changed some of the four corners.

I already have dice in my classroom, but I am ordering these game pieces that I will be able to use for a variety of games in my classroom. 

I'll be using this activity to introduce Desmos to my students. I will have them hand calculate the expressions and then check using Desmos. 


Expression Race Track PDF

Expression Race Track - Publisher

No comments:

Post a Comment

#MTBoSBlaugust Designing a plan for student success

"Success Criteria" has been a topic of interest in my district since we moved to our current evaluation model. We have had many...